Self-regulation is a term in Psychology used to describe people who are socialised to the point where they continue adhering to rules and social norms on their own accord, without the supervision of an authority figure.
One of my professors raised a good point. He was expounding on the ills of punishment and gave an example of parenting that wasn't effective - Imagine a child who doesn't know the meaning of being tidy. His room is always shrewn with all clothes and unwashed dishes etc. His mom has to nag and scold him incessantly before he groans and cleans it up. But what makes his mother think that the next day, his room will be clean and neat? The mom has basically succeeded in making her child obey her, but she hasn't changed his mindset about the importance of being neat. Hence there will not be a long-term effect.
The word "Self-regulation" just popped into my head when i was in the shower one day (God really does speak to you in the shower!!) and as i thought about it, i realised that God has been calling me deeper in my spiritual walk with Him. Like what Jingxuan said, to not just follow orders, but to have my own personal revelations and dreams and goals.
I want to be a self-regulating Christian!
I don't want to pray because my discipler asked whether i've been praying or because i've come to the end of the road and have nowhere else to go.
I don't want to read the bible because i have to finish a bible reading programme.
I don't want to spend time in God's presence only because i have a ministry and i've reached a point of frustration and desperation.
I want to pray because I love talking to Him and having someone who can listen and offer the awesomest advice + comfort + encouragement! :]
I want to read the Bible because i want to understand and know God more.
I want to spend time in God's presence because that's the highlight of my day!
I'm getting there & I wanna stay there! Everything's by Your grace! :]
A random note aside: I've suddenly regained my desire to be organised!
I think it's been lying dormant for awhile.. haha.. but after playing around with Microsoft Excel for weeks in Computing class, i really really wanna do spreadsheets after spreadsheets of data! :] hahahaha
I've settled for writing down TO DO lists everywhere EXCEPT my organiser.. because i can't stand the neatness and the teeny tiny lines that i have to squeeze everything into! ARGH.. i need an organiser that isn't expensive or too nice looking so that i won't feel guilty when i scrawl on it or compelled to use it because i spent so much on it -_- Humph! Organised Chaos please!
Healing Relationships
10 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment