Had a long talk with a friend today about beliefs and religion. It was interesting because from the outsider's standpoint, I could spot flaws in his logic and contradictions which also challenged me about only looking at things from one point of view.
We also brought up the issue about being "open-minded". Sometimes when we're looking for an answer, we end up rejecting it when it's presented to us on the basis of remaining "open-minded" and flexible. For example, if we're looking for the answer to the question: What is the name of a shape that has 4 corners and 4 equal sides? Being open-minded, there are lots of possibilities: Why can't the shape be called a "circle", "oblong", "triangle" or "sam" for that matter? But if there is an answer that represents the truth and the shape is called a "square", are we then willing to commit to that one answer?
It's like saying "I do" at your wedding, commitment seals the deal. And committing requires a strong basis behind it which can only stem from a personal experience and choice.
At the end of it, I was a little sad.. but yet I believe that God works in ways we can't see.. Learning from this, it's one of my resolutions this year that I won't make judgments without a strong basis for it :] I think in every area of life, especially in relationships, this is one way to show love to others.
Healing Relationships
10 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment