Sunday, March 8, 2009

On reading, love and the time for both

"Time to read is always time stolen. (Like time to write, for that matter, or time to love.)
Stolen from what?
From the tyranny of living.
Which explains why the metro (festering symbol of said tyranny) is one of the biggest libraries of the world.
By making time to read, like making time to love, we expand our time for living.
If we had to think of love in terms of our busy schedule, who'd risk it? Who's got time to fall in love? But have you ever seen someone in love not finding time for it?
I've never had time to read, but nothing's ever stopped me from finishing a novel I loved.
Reading isn't about managing your social life better, it's a way of being, like being in love.
The question isn't whether I have time to read or not (time that nobody will ever give me, by the way), but whether I'll allow myself the pleasure of being a reader."
- Daniel Pennac

No comments: