Saturday, February 14, 2009

Blessed!

This week has been a really good one, felt blessed and touched by so many unexpected people! Indeed, quoting from a friend's blog:

"Happiness often sneaks in through a door you didn't know you left open." - John Barrymore

On Friday, I finally went to the Riding for the Disabled Association at Thompson Rd to volunteer! Even though initially it was rather intimidating since it turned out that I was one of 2 Singaporean volunteers, the rest were mostly caucasian women who were in their thirties to fourties. Haha.. It was interesting because it was like stepping into another culture as well - the world of expatriate housewives! Anyway got to interact with 2 autistic boys and help them through their activities as they rode on their ponies - physical activities that required them to stretch and exercise; verbal commands because they aren't really good at communicating; and puzzles to train them mentally. When the kids first tumbled off the bus, most of them were either very hyperactive, or withdrawn, but it was very touching to see their change when they got on top of the horses! 1 of the boys I had was super hyperactive, and we had trouble chasing after him. but once he sat in the saddle, he calmed down and was able to focus and even talk to us. The other boy was the total opposite! He kept grinding his teeth and seemed to be in his own world, wouldn't talk or participate fully although once he went outside on the horse to walk through the jungle, he started giggling to himself and it was super cute to watch them. :]

It was amazing because when one of the kids who had a fear of butterflies got hysterical, he grabbed my hand and wouldn't let go, and it was then that underneath the label of "autism", I finally got to see the little boy who has fears and struggles like the rest of us. :] Looking forward to more volunteering! I realise that only by getting down to connect with people one-on-one can helpers like psychologists, counselors and social workers retain their compassion and heart for people, or we'll just be caught up with labels, jargons and theories.

When I got back, my mom informed me that my older cousin (she's 30++ and married with a kid) has smsed to say that she's blessing Jo and I with ang pows for our 21st birthdays! More than the money, she added that if we needed to get a loan (interest-free) for our education, she would be more than willing to help so that Jo and I could study without distraction or worry about our family finances. Was totally blown away and humbled by her generosity.. indeed, a friend who helps in times of adversity is really such a blessing.. and just that action alone has changed the whole atmosphere at home. Suddenly hearts are softened because of this unexpected support from my relatives.. indeed, our prayers have been answered very miraculously and regardless of whether my parents will ever take her up on her offer, the gesture alone has restored faith that indeed, God is our provider and we're very very blessed =)

Got a nice V day card from my tuition kid today! She wrote "I Love You (as in, i love my favourite tutor!)" and i laughed so hard when i read that because she added that disclaimer..hehe.. but my heart was really warmed today because even though I have 3 hour sessions with her which she hates (she always asks me what time we're ending within the first hour) and I always nag at her to sit up straight, write neater, be more disciplined, check her answers AGAIN, she finds it in her heart to forgive me for torturing her. hahaha...

Then got home, and my mom was waiting for me to tell me that I received $400 in GST credits from the govt (tks for the 21st bday present!) AND that she wanted to bless me with $100 to get what i wanted for my bday. :") No words to express how full my heart feels, but i'll always remember and keep these memories in my heart for rainy days to take out, look at it and be encouraged because I'm loved and am a very blessed girl :]

No comments: