Thursday, October 23, 2008

Read a Harvest Times mag that I found randomly in my house from last year and it really impacted me. Caused me to think alot about what my focus is in my life. It's that sense of strong purpose and destiny that some leaders have that causes them to pursue life with everything they have that's lacking in my life.

I think this principle applies to everyone, not just Christians in a church setting: Sometimes it's possible (and easier) to mask our need for inner change with our achievements.

Many people have achievements as their central focus - that top-notch job, to be a valedictorian, to get that guy or girl, to achieve certain things in your ministry etc. Of course, there is such a thing as unhealthy self-focus and sitting at home thinking about yourself all the time isn't the way to go either.

We are called to do great things, but we're also called to become more like Someone - to be better people. That is our primary goal, and great things will naturally flow out of a changed heart.

If we focus on the condition of our hearts, we can embrace the struggles we meet on the way to our goals and be able to "press on" and take joy in it. You won't grumble and lose heart because you've hit a rut, but you'll understand that it's all part of the journey. Indeed, the size and condition of your heart determines the geographical borders of your life.

I want to have a mind with the flexibility of a camera that can zoom in and out on the big picture. It's true sometimes we can be so overwhelmed by our problems that we can't think out of this gloom, but it reallly takes choice to apply truth into your life. Truths that are practical like financial budgeting and thinking God's thoughts, do we just leave them in our notebooks when we come back from church? It takes a decision to say that you're going to think positive thoughts whenever you catch yourself thinking negatively.

I feel glad that I'm out of my rut, but I won't be resting on my laurels. I want to be ready for the next round, and for that I've got to start applying principles in my life so that I'll be prepared to bounce back fast. I've learnt how important it is to position yourself for change and breakthrough, because even when negative thoughts and emotions are constantly swamping you, somehow that openness and hunger for breakthrough will incline your ear to remember important truths that can bring healing for your situation. So never grow weary of doing what is good and what is right, you'll eventually reap the fruits of what you sow.

No comments: